Thursday, April 25, 2013

Pink Lemonade Smoothie and Spicy Smoky Tomato Soup

While I didn't eat these two things together, I imagine that the cool and refreshing smoothie would be tasty with the spicy and smoky soup.

Today in the kitchen was all about trying to use up ingredients that have been in the fridge to long, and making quick and healthy meals and snacks.

A note about me and food- I love food and I do my best to eat mostly healthy food (but sometimes my sweet tooth gets the better of me). You will see a lot of low fat, fat free, or lower calorie ingredients- but I promise that they are tasty (at least to me, and usually to my husband). You can alway substitute regular, full fat versions, but I wouldn't share my ideas with you if I didn't think they were super good as is, and I encourage you to try them.

Disclaimer: I don't "test" my recipes. I make them, I eat them. If I like them, you hear about them. Always taste your food as you're cooking, and adjust ingredients to your taste buds preference.

Pink Lemonade Smoothie

Pink Lemonade Smoothie:
  • 1/4 cup meyer lemon juice- meyer lemons are much sweeter than regular ones, substitute at your own risk. 
  • 1 cup diced fresh watermelon
  • 1/2 cup frozen raspberries 
  • 1/4 cup fat free cottage cheese 
  • 1 tsp honey (I like to dissolve honey in warm water first so that it doesn't stick to the sides of the blender). 
  • 1 cup of ice
  • optional: 1tbsp fresh mint leaves. Makes it extra crisp and refreshing 
Blend it up and enjoy! It's a little tart, a little sweet, and a whole lot of refreshing.

Per my nutrition calculator on the LoseIt app: 147 calories, 0g fat, 7.2g protein 


Spicy Tomato Soup

Spicy Smoky Tomato Soup
Makes 4 1 1/2 cup servings.

A little (or a lot) spicy, a little smoky, and tiny hint of sweetness. Yummy, yummy! It would also be amazing with some shredded chicken.

It doesn't get any easier or faster than this:

  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 1/2 cup chopped onion (approx 1 medium)
  • 5 cloves Black Garlic
  • 1.5-2 tbsp chilis in adobo sauce (approx 1-3)  
  • 2 14.5 oz cans of diced tomatoes 
  • 1/2 cup fat free cream cheese
  • 2 cups 1% milk
  • 1/4 tsp salt 
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
A note about ingredients:

Black Garlic is awesome. I love it. But if you don't have it or can't find it use 3 cloves regular garlic, minced, add it to the pan after the onions, and a minute before finishing sauteing add in 1-2 tbsp brown sugar. 

Chilis in Adobo- I like things spicy. If you don't like spice, I suggest starting with 1 chili and adding more from there, to taste. If you don't have these chilis available try some smoked paprika and a little cayenne pepper. 

Directions: 
Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute for 3-5 minutes. Add tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Put all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Return to pot for several minutes, until it starts to bubble and the soup is good and hot. 

Serve with toast, crackers, a salad, you name it! I toasted a piece of nutty bread and then broiled it with a little parmesan. 

Nutrition info for one serving of soup: 185 calories, 4.8g fat, 2.6g fiber, 10.5g protein 

No comments: