Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Tulip Toes and Mohawk Hat

The tulip toes are finished! Actually, I finished them a while ago and am already almost done with my next project mentioned below. Here’s the info for the tulip toes first. You can find the pattern at: Tulip Toes

I loved the Sirdar Snuggly Baby Bamboo. It kept its form really well and I was able to machine wash and low dry it as well. This made it super soft and there is plenty left over for more little projects.

I didn't make any alterations from the first one. After blocking the pointy toe thing went away and it looks really cute! So, the differences from the pattern were that I did 12 stitches on top and did seed stitch. I made the premie size since Becky's baby will be born in December and will only need to keep his or her feeties warm until spring/summer.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


The newest project is for my little brother Jordan and it is the Mohawk hat from the Domiknitrix book. You can check out the website here : DomiKNITrix

I have already finished the hat in size medium using Kraemer Yarns Mauch Chunky in black. I felted it a little to get it to shrink up but it is still loose around the sides. I think I will add strings to it so that my brother can tie it if he ever goes snowboarding without a helmet (he better not!).

Now I’m applying the Mohawk, which is taking forever! I’ve already used the 150 recommended threads and I’m only a quarter of the way there. I’m using Nashua Handknits Wooly Stripes in a variegated green. I’m doing 3” strips and applying them 7 across so it is a shorter, but thick, Mohawk. I think I’ll end up using more like 500 strips.

The only trouble I had with the pattern was starting the gussets. The pattern confused me. I figured out that it meant (I think) that when you fold the widow’s peak in half to find the midsection for where you start the gussets, you don’t include the front triangle section. You start right after the 4 stitches on stitch holders. It turned out well and I was able to do it on the first try, so I’m assuming I did it correctly. Here are the pictures so far:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
(Brian was tired, it was 1am when I took this)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there,
I saw your finished hat and it looked great by the way!
I have a question though, I'm currently working on the same project from the same book and I'm stuck at the gusset part. When I'm picking up stitches to start the first gusset, do I use a new ball of yarn? Or do I use the yarn that is still attached to the end of the middle piece? If you could give me some advice that would be greatly appreciated.
-Andi

Bohoknitterchic said...

I hope you check back here because with an anonymous message I don't know how to contact you.

At the end of the widows peak (the 1st part you knit) you will place the stitches on a holder and break the yarn. You then use your original ball of yarn to do the gussets. I only needed one ball of yarn for the whole hat.

I found the gussets to be the most confusing part. You may have to try it a couple of times to get the desired results. My notes in my original blog post helped me a lot.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for responding (and so dang quickly too!). I'll try your advice. Thats the whole part I was confused about, whether or not I was supposed to break the string or not. Thank you thank you!
-Andi

Christy said...

Glad to see other's are struggling with this pattern. I have finished part of the gussets and now I am about to completely give up and rip it out. I was looking for a different pattern for a mohawk hat when I found your posting.
I can't tell how the sides are supposed to form. I have knitted the first part of the right sides and now I don't know how to finish. Do I add in the side stitches that were on the holder? Do I keep going down that way?
Any advice would be helpful.
Thanks.
Love the blog, by the way.
Christy